Who is URi?
URi is an advertising agency uniquely positioned to provide clients better value and better results in today's global marketplace. URi brings together a diverse group of marketing professionals under one roof, merging best practices from around the world and from diverse culture to develop innovative solutions for our clients.
Our Core Values
Independence is a state of mind that breeds:
- Creative budgeting
- Immediate adjustment according to market conditions
Focus on driving sales and strengthening the brand image:
- Destribution Support
- Determination to succeed
Multicultural exchagne is URi's unique approach to marketing:
- Awareness of idiosyncrasies of diverse geographies
- Approach tailored to each market situation
- Support global expansion of the market
We are unlike the large, multinational agencies whose arms are so spread out that often, the right hand is unaware of what the left is doing. Instead, we provide our clients with the best talent under the same roof, improving responsiveness, accountability and service.
Everything we do, from strategy, to creative media, is done with bottom line results in mind. Senior staff stay involved in all aspects of our clients' business, and we put people on the ground to service our accounts wherever needed.
15 years of experience in marketing consulting and business development for major companies and influential leaders across several industries, including:
- Proctor & Gamble
- General Electric
- Coca Cola
- Daewoo Corporate
- Hyundai Motor
- United Technologies
- Campaign Coordinator for President Bill Clinton during 1992 President Election
- CNTO(China National Tourist Office)
Special expertise in revitalizaing depleted companies and restoring them to vibrant health and profitability. Handled assignments covering all facets of brand creation & development, advertising & marketing strategy and new product development.
Daniel has over 25 years of broad marketing experience in many afcets of the business. He began his career working on the Adidas and Everland accounts with Cheil communications in Seoul, Korea.
He next joined Hyundai Motor Company where he worked for the next 15 years in many marketing functions from Strategic Planning to Public Relations and Advertising. During this time, he also earned his MBA in the United States.
In 2003, Daniel moved to the United States as Vice President of the World Marketing Group (current Innocean Worldwide). His team managed a $500 million media planning and buying accounts for Hyundai Motor and Kia Motors in the US.
He returned to Korea as Team leader of the Kia Global Communications Team for two years before accepting the position of president of URi Global.
This is a business that runs on ideas. Those who have ideas become the most successful. We dig until we uncover innovative solutions that touch consumers in meaningful ways. And we search until we find the answers that will grow our client's business.
Hyundai Genesis - New Product Launching
In 2008, Hyundai Motor America launched new flagship of Hyundai, Genesis, premium sedan in the U.S. market. During this period, many of Korean Americans didn't believe Hyundai was capable of making a premium performance sedan.
Change the Hyundai brand perception in Korean American market
Achieve over 10% of total Genesis sales in Korean American market
- Three (3) steps campaign (Teaser, Pre-launch and Launch) executed to maximize potential customers' interest
- Launched a massive launch campaign to build awareness and buzz through a variety of media channels
- Created promotion opportunities to provide hands-on experience to core targets and nurture strong relationship with them (ex. Launching Show with community opinion leaders on LA, New York and Washington DC / Conduct Community Center Test Drive)
Korean American market achieved more than 20% of the total Genesis sales for the first 3 months after launch and Genesis sales in Korean Market still accounts for average 12% of the total Genesis sales as of 2014.
BBCN Bank Branding - New Branding Campaign
In 2011, Center Bank and Nara Bank merged and launched BBCN Bank as biggest community bank in Korean community. However, after a year of its launch, most of Korean Americans still recognized BBCN's biggest competitor, Hanmi Bank as the number 1 bank in the community
Successfully positioned BBCN Bank as a leader among Korean American banks and enhance BBCN Bank's brand perception in Korean American market
Launched integrated branding campaign "We see your potential. We invest in your future." through TV, Print, Radio, Outdoor, On-line and collateral pieces
After branding campaign, BBCN Bank has successfully achieved #1 position in various criteria
- Top of mind awareness among Korean American banks (BBCN 45% vs. Hanmi 35%)
- Largest bank recognition (BBCN 67% vs. Hanmi 18%)
- Most reliable bank recognition (BBCN 46% vs. Hanmi 21%)
- Most forward-looking bank (BBCN 50% vs. Hanmi 9%)
Korean Air World Citizen - New Brand Image
Although Korean Air is the flagship carrier of South Korea. It didn’t have a strong emotional tie with Korean American consumers. Over this period, Asiana, Korean Air’s key competitor, focused their marketing communications on building emotional connections and started gaining a strong base of consumers.
Reposition Korean Air as a ‘global’ carrier while building an emotional relationship with consumers.
Created the ‘World Citizen’ Campaign- Highlight the fact that Korean Air enables all Koreans to be citizens of the world.
- Sales increased in the U.S. by 25% vs. 2004 (Recording the highest sales increase in the U.S. per year)
- Consumers survey reported that 85% of respondents recognized the repositioning effort
- Consumers survey reported that 88% believe the image of the company is positively affected by the campaign
Bacchus Energy Drink - Brand Re-launch
Bacchus was determined to reintroduce their energy drink product to the saturated U.S. market. Ten years earlier, the client had tried but failed to launch. Bacchus seek URI’s professional guidance in developing a successful launch program.
URI advised the client to test market the drink in a major urban center to determine general market acceptance before rolling out the product on a national level. This would allow the client to fine-tune the positioning of the product with limited financial risk. In addition, URi recommended that the U.S. Hispanic market be chosen as the primary target as there were no product leaders within this large segment. Southern California was chosen as the test market with a sales objective of one million cans for the first six months.
URi developed a distinctive brand image in a Hispanic marketplace around the concept ¡Guía tu energía! (Drive your Energy!). URi developed opportunities to generate news articles for Hispanic media outlets, attained a product endorsement from an influential sports figures like Paul Lo Duca of L.A. Dodgers and Robert Horry of L.A. Lakers, and strengthened the distribution network.
Sales objective exceeded within 3 months and operations have expanded through Northern California, Florida, New York and Las Vegas
Hyundai - Customer Service Improvement Program
Total 4 locations nationwide (November 6-12) - Atlanta, Georgia | Washington D.C. | Newark, New Jersey | Cerritos, CA
- Scope, design and send official letter of invitations for RSVP
- Location scout, gift item scout, survey design, feedback channels
- Program design included: Korean Customer’s Characteristics and Behavior, Intro to HMA CSI Improvement Activities, Dealer Service Improvement Information, Media and Program Overview Survey, and Monthly in language e-Newsletters
- A total of 76 Korean-language salesmen participated the seminar
- Feedback on the strength and informative nature of the program with requests to continue training on a yearly basis and the feedback directly to HMA
- Design and Implementation of in-language e-newsletters to help keep servicemen and corporate updated on a month to month basis
Hyundai - Seoul Philharmonic North America Tour
Coordinate and execute the North America Tour for Hyundai Sponsored Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra
4 Out of country & West Coast Tour (April 15-19) - Vancouver, Canada | Seattle, WA | Santa Barbara, CA | Los Angeles, CA
- Coordinate transportation and VIP chauffeured Hyundai vehicles with appropriate POP materials for all members of the Orchestra to and from South Korea to Canada to U.S.
- VIP Concert invitation for each location and RSVP (included VIP Dinner and Cocktail hour)
- Simultaneous online and traditional promotion with online interactive quiz event to promote sponsorship
- A total of 800 VIP invitations and execution across 4 cities including owners, media members, interactive event winners, local celebrities, and local university faculty
- Noted PR material for arranging Seoul Philharmonic to perform and the non-profit Hyundai Hope on Wheels Handprint Ceremony to Children’s Hospital Orange County
- Positive feedback from all exposure including participants of project (Seoul Philharmonic, HMA, HMC, Media Channels, Hyundai Owners, Prospective Owners, Hyundai online Fans)
BBCN - Music Concert
Build strong relationship with BBCN’s VIP customers and increase loyalty.
Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles (August 2014)
- Invite VIP customers to BBCN Music Concert which was held in a very special venue, Walt Disney Concert Hall.
- Provide a pre-concert reception and complimentary valet parking service to 200 VVIP customers.
- BBCN Bank logo and name exposure on ticket and inside the venue.
- PR release about a conductor Baek
- A total of 1,500 VIP guests attended the concert.
- Generated positive feedback from the customers
- BBCN Bank received attention not only from invited guests but also neighbors and tourists around the venue.
Hyundai - LA Korean Festival
Increase rising brand image of Hyundai in the Korean community and promote new Hyundai models as preferred vehicle of choice
Seoul International Park, LA, CA (Sep. 26th - 29th, 2013)
- Display 2014 Equus & Santa Fe and promote Hyundai SNS
- Collect survey and instant giveaway with gift scratchers
- Provide rest area for current Hyundai owners (massage chairs, nail care service and drink)
- A total of 800 people filled out survey form in exchange for gift scratcher
- More than 20,000 people visit Hyundai booth and generated positive feedback from the customers
- About 800 current Hyundai owner enjoy Hyundai owner lounge’s service and their loyalty on Hyundai is increased.
Hyundai - Nationwide Ride & Drive
Increase awareness of 2015 Genesis and build positive impression on 2015 Genesis
Total 9 Nationwide Ride & Drive in NY, NJ, CA, VA
(July - November, 2014)
- 10 min. local ride & drive 2015 Genesis
- Give $20 value local market gift card per participant
- $500 Auto show coupon
- A total of 3,946 people participated in 2015 Genesis Ride & Drive
- A total of 508 people requested and received $500 coupons with purchase intention.
- Hot leads management: Through R&D events, we generated 225 hot leads which refers to customers intent purchasing new cars in 3 months.
- "Definitely Consider" of purchase consideration has increase from 22% to 49% after test drive vehicles.
Hyundai - Korean & Chinese Facebook
As effectiveness of traditional media and on-line display banner is declined, need for using social media as marketing platform is raised in Asian-American market.
- Opened Facebook fan pages for both Korean-American and Chinese-American markets
- Releasing major news for HMA and introducing vehicles and their features
- Promoting HMA’s marketing activities through Facebook
- Conducting numerous on-line sweepstakes
- Only in-language Facebook fan pages in U.S. automotive industry.
- About 24,000 fans following for both markets
- Each posting is reached to about 100K Asian-American Facebook fans
- HMA utilizing fan page as one of major on-line ad platforms
Hyundai - Sales Insider
Need for educating Korean-American sales men is raised to improve customer satisfaction, HMA wanted to create periodic publication.
- Created e-newsletter monthly in the form of email
- From design and content writing through email coding, URi is in charge of entire process.
- 84% of sales personnel replied newsletter helps their service and sales activities
- Utilized as useful subsidiary information channel for sales and service personnel
Hyundai - Santa Fe 10,000-Mile Road Trip
Promote Santa Fe’s features and increase user engagement through social media
- Published travel essays of 18 U.S. cities in 11 states to Facebook (Jun. 24 ~ Sep. 15 2015)
- 5~6 photos of tourist attractions and landscape were posted including 1~2 photos of Santa Fe
- Notable feature of Santa Fe sport introduced on each posting
- Reached to 1,070K Korean-American fans
- Gain 5,996 Likes
Hyundai Genesis Media Launch - PR Case study
The All-New 2015 Genesis Media Launch Event with Korean & Chinese Journalists
- Invited 29 Korean & Chinese journalists/bloggers in CA to Scottsdale, AZ for 1-night / 2-day special media launch event
- Provided thorough Genesis experience to journalists before the car’s official launch
- Genesis Presentation, Interviews & Reception Dinner on Day 1
- 4-hour test drive event on Day 2
- Genesis & the event were covered in about 50 media articles and TV segments right after the event.
- Genesis & the event was featured on 3 power blogs with 15 postings after the event.
HMMA Tour (Chinese) - PR Case study
Increase brand awareness of Hyundai in the Chinese community through nationwide Chinese media coverage of Hyundai’s investment and commitment in the U.S. market
- Coordinated national Chinese media’s first hand experience of HMMA professional plant tour and vehicle test drive
- Primary Chinese media representatives from CA, NY, TX (Highest Chinese DMA’s) - Over 15 Print, 10 TV, 2 Radio, and 5 Interactive
- Interview opportunities with HMMA representative and HMA representatives as well as meeting with Hyundai CEO, John Krafcik
- Post survey and feedback with highly favorable reviews
- Considered the our more insightful and educational than other events conducted by competitor automotive companies
- Impressed with Hyundai’s technology through personal experience with premium vehicle test drives on site
357 Van Ness Way. Suite 110.
Torrance, CA 90501
TEL: (310) 360-1212
FAX: (310) 360-9005